TRAVELLER'S GUIDE TO TRIESTE AND ITS RIVIERA   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the top of The Victory's Lighthouse

 

 Perched on the slope of the limestone escarpment, is the Faro della Vittoria, the second tallest lighthouse in the world after New York's Statue of Liberty.

The most powerful lighthouse in Europe.

 

 Reopened after  restoration work, the Victory Lighthouse is certainly worth the 200 or so steps to arrive at the top. There is a magnificent view of the whole of the gulf of Trieste, the city and part of the karstic coast.

Built from white stone on a wide base, the lighthouse was constructed during the 1920's on the design of a famous local architect, Arduino Berlam, and is dedicated to all the sailors that were lost during WW1.

Above the column, the capital supports the top designed to resemble the mast of a ship in which the light itself is fitted. The light container is covered with a bronze dome and decorated with a scale design.  

 

 

Siegesleuchtturm

 

Ein imposantes bauwerk, das vom triestiner architekten Arduino Berlam (1880-1946) und vom bildhauer Giovanni Mayer (1863-1943) geschaffen wurde, vereinigt zwei wichtige funktionen in sich: er erleuchtet den Golf von Trieste und dient somit der schiffahrt; gleichzeitig ist er aber auch ein denkmal an die im 1° weltkrieg gefalIenen marinesoldaten, wie es in de inschrift heißt: "SPLENDI E RICORDA I CADUTI SUL MARE MCMXV-MCMXVIII" ("Leuchte un gedenke der Gefallenen zur See 1915-1918"). Schon 1918 kam man auf die idee, den leuchtturm zu errichten. Dazu ausersehen wurde die Anhöhe von Gretta, die wegen ihrer hoehe (60 m. über dem meeresspiegel) sowie wegen der festen grundmauern der runden bastion der ehemaligen österreichischen festung Kressich (zwischen 1854 und 1857 erbaut) ideal dafür erschien.

Der leuchtturm besteht aus einem breiten sockel, der die bastion der österreichischen festung einschließt; außen ist er mit steinblöcken vom Karst und aus lstrien verkleidet. Auf der säule steht ein kapitell, auf dem der sogenannte "Mastkorb" ruht; in ihm befindet sich das käfigförmige gerüst aus bronze un glas der laterne, die von einer bronzekuppel mit schuppenartiger verzierung bedeckt ist. Die kuppel krönt die kühne "statua della Vittoria" (ca. 700 kg schwer) aus getriebenem kupfer, des bildhauers Giovanni Mayer.

 

Faro della Vittoria 2.jpg (31604 byte)

 

 

Zum ornamentalen teil gehört auch die mächtig wirkende, 100 tonnen schwere gestalt des Marinesoldaten aus Orsera-Stein, die ebenfalls von Mayer geschaffen wurde. Unter der statue befindet sich der anker des zerstörers Audace (d.h. des ersten italienischen schiffes, das den Triester Hafen am 3 november 1918 anlief), ein geschenk des marineministers admiral Thaon di Revel, zusamrnen mit den zwei geschossen der Viribus Unitis, die sich an den seiten des leuchtturmeingangs befinden.

Die laterne Iiegt in ungefähr 130 m höhe über dem durchschnittlichen meeresspiegel und besteht aus einem leuchtkörper mit einer durchshnittsstärke von 1.25O.OOO NK und einer reichweite von 34-35 meilen. Der leuchtkörper dreht sich alle 45 sekunden einmal um seine achse.

Die im februar 1923 begonnenen bauarbeiten wurden am 24 mai 1927 mit der einweihungsfeier in anwesehneit von König Vittorio Emanuele III. abgeschlossen.

Für den bau dieses imposanten werkes, dessen gesamtgewicht 8.000 tonnen beträgt, wurden 1.300 m3 Orsera und Gabrie stein. 2.000 m3 beton und 11 waggons d.h. 100 tonnen eisen verwendet.

 

Öffnungszeiten: vom 1. April bis zum 30. September 9.30-12.30,
15.30-18.30, täglich; vom 1. Oktober bis zum 31. März 10-15, nur an
Sonn- und Feiertagen geöffnet.

 

Faro della Vittoria 1.jpg (26492 byte)

The Trieste's Victory lighthouse, an impressive work of the triestine architect Arduino Berlam (1880-1946) and the sculptor Giovanni Mayer (1863-1943), has two important functions. Besides lighting the Gulf of Trieste, in order to help navigation, it is a commemorative monument dedicated to the fallen of the first world war, as testified by the inscription: "SHINE AND REMIND OF THE FALLEN ON SEA MCMXV-MCMXVIII".

The idea of building this lighthouse arose already in 1918. The Mount of Gretta was chosen since it provided a very good emplacement at 60 m. above sea-level and solid foundations in the round earthwork of the former Austrian fort Kressich, built between 1854 and 1857.

The lighthouse is made up by a large base that includes the earthwork of the Austrian fort and, externally, is covered by blocks of stone from Carso and from lstria.

Above the column there is a "capital" that supports the "crow's nest", so defined with a clear reference to the ship mast, in which is inserted the bronze and crystal cage of the lantern covered by a copper dome decorated with a scale-like motif. The top of the dome is surmounted by the daring statue of the Victory made of enbossed copper and weighing about 7 hundred kilos sculpted by Giovanni Mayer.

The ornamental part is completed by a powerful sculpture of the seaman, made by Giovanni Mayer, which was carried out with 100 tons of stone from Orsera. Under this statue is affixed the anchor of the torpedo-boat Audace (the first italian ship that entered the port of Trieste on November 3, 1918), donated by the admiral Thaon di Revel, Navy minister, together with two projectiles of the Viribus Unitis, placed on both sides of the lighthouse entry.

The lantern stand at about 130 meters above average sea-level and it is made up by a lighting body of an average power of 1,250,000 candles with a range of 34 - 35 nautical miles, The optical engine completes a rotation around its axe every 45 seconds.

The works, which started in 1923, ended on May 24, 1927 with the inauguration in the presence of King Vittorio Emanuele III.

The impressive structure of the lighthouse, which weighs 8,000 tons in all, involved the use of 1,300 m3 of stone from Orsera and Gabrie, 2,000 m3 of concrete, and 11 wagon-loads of iron corresponding to 100 tons.

Die Alte Laterne

Molo Fratelli Bandiera, 9

 

Der Fratelli Bandiera Kai schließt die Westseite des Golfes ab. Auf diesem Kai erhebt sich der Leuchtturm "Lanterna", der 1830-31 nach dem Entwurf des Architekten Pertsch erbaut wurde. Zu der Zeit war es der einzige Lichtstrahl im ganzen Golf, dann als der Hafen erweitert wurde, wurde durch den Leuchtturm "della Vittoria" (A. Berlan, 1927), der auf der gegenüberliegenden Seite des Golfes steht, ersetzt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tel. (040) 309779
Sammlung Aldebaran
Ständige Ausstellung von über hundert Handelsschiffen, Militärfregatten
und für die Adria typische Boote.
Fachbibliothek in Seefahrtsfragen ( ca. 3000 Bände in italienischer,
englischer und deutscher Sprache ) Technisch- historisches Archiv über
Schiffswerften und die lokalen Schiffahrtsgesellschaften
Verein der Seemänner Aldebaran


 

 

Molo Fratelli Bandiera, 17/d - tel. (040) 303405
Öffnungszeiten: wochentags, 18-19.30
Für Auskünfte und Führungen: Tel.(040) 314265